Williams had her serve broken in the first game of the match and faced an uphill battle the rest of the way. Venus Williams’ losing streak in singles play has reached 13 matches. The seven-time major champion was defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Emiliana Arango on Friday in the first round of the Cincinnati Open. The 46-year-old Williams received a wild-card entry to the WTA 1000 event. She has not won a singles match since July 2025. Arango, a 25-year-old qualifier from Colombia ranked 95th, needed 1 hour, 5 minutes to defeat Williams on the grandstand court at Lindner Tennis Center. Arango was 4 of 5 on converting break points and won 71% of her first-serve points.
Venus Williams’ losing streak in singles play has reached 13 matches. The seven-time major champion was defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Emiliana Arango on Friday in the first round of the Cincinnati Open.
“That kind of eased my nerves a little bit of having maybe a little bit of breathing room. Arango will face No. “The encouraging part is that I’m controlling the shots, but I have to just get a little more consistent on that last part. The doubles portion of the tournament starts Sunday. “I’m excited and hope that we can both go into it fresh, on our toes and ready.
7 seed and defending Cincinnati champion Iga Swiatek in the second round.
And then I think I just did a good job of staying on it, trying to make her play as much as possible,” Arango said about getting ahead early. “I think that at all times I was really controlling the point, but unfortunately didn’t finish it the way I wanted to,” said Williams, who is making her 11th appearance in the tournament. I’ll be preparing for that,” Venus Williams said.
Williams’ last singles victory came last year in Washington, when she defeated Peyton Stearns.

