Rescue operations concluded on Tuesday in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district after the bodies of two missing

Rescue operations concluded on Tuesday in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district after the bodies of two missing

Rescue operations concluded on Tuesday in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district after the bodies of two missing workers were recovered from an under-construction tunnel. This grim discovery increased the total death toll to 10, according to official reports. The workers had been trapped following severe flooding in the area, prompting an extensive search effort that ultimately ended in tragedy.

“The operation was challenging as a large stretch of the tunnel was filled with water, debris and slush, while heavy machinery was also stuck inside, restricting the movement of rescue teams.

Chamoli district magistrate Gaurav Kumar said the search operation was completed after the recovery of the two missing workers. However, through sustained efforts and coordinated operations, the teams managed to reach the affected sections and recover the missing workers,” Kumar said. Teams of the district administration, police, State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), THDC and other agencies worked together to drain water, clear debris and remove machinery while carrying out searches at possible locations, he said. Teams from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) at Joshimath and Gauchar, the Army at Joshimath, NDRF, SDRF, District Disaster Response Force (DDRF) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) played an important role in the operation, Kumar said. “The coordinated efforts and prompt response of all the agencies were instrumental in successfully completing the rescue operation,” he said.