A man armed with a sword injured several people at a Swedish high school on Friday and one person was later detained, local authorities said, triggering a massive response from emergency services.

The school had just opened after summer recess and for some students it marked the first day at the senior high school. Local newspaper Fagersta-posten talked to Madelene Jansson outside the school, which her daughter had been attending. The incident occurred on Friday afternoon at the Brinell high school, which has 450 students aged 16 to 20, in Fagersta, a town of 13,000 inhabitants in central Sweden.
“We received an alarm at 1406 (1206 GMT) about suspected deadly violence and sent all available resources to the school,” a police spokesperson told Reuters.
Tragic Shooting in Orebro Marks a Year of Violence
A year ago, a tragic school shooting occurred in Orebro, central Sweden, where a gunman killed 10 individuals before taking his own life. This incident remains the deadliest mass shooting in Swedish history, highlighting ongoing concerns about gun violence in the country.

