He said Misra inducted people of his choice into the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Temple Construction Committee

He said Misra inducted people of his choice into the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Temple Construction Committee

Champat Rai, who was forced to step down as the general secretary of the trust that runs the Ayodhya Ram Temple amid allegations of donation irregularities, has written an open letter, saying the Nripendra Misra-led temple construction committee cleared all decisions and made appointments for his assistance.

Rai stressed that the committee’s authority was absolute. He added that not a single task was executed without the committee’s approval. “If any decision was taken outside, it was not accepted. Rai also noted that scholars and experts contributed in a spirit of service and did not take any remuneration. “Until I see the letter, I will only tell you that this is a concocted story of yours [media]. There is no such letter, nor is there any such criticism, even if it were nine pages long. He has not made any such criticism. This is merely a made-up story…”

He added that meetings were held monthly and sometimes every 15 days.

He said Misra inducted people of his choice into the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Temple Construction Committee. Rai said one of them came to Ayodhya only twice in six years, and only suggestions related to security were sought from another. Rai said a third member was regular and always attended meetings with Misra. If something was done, it was removed,” Rai said in the letter that has gone viral and triggered fresh debate over the committee’s functioning. Rai said Misra would immediately reach out to the most capable people, bring them to Ayodhya, and get issues resolved whenever the construction faced a technical or logistical hurdle. Misra dismissed reports about an internal rift within the committee and said he has not seen Rai’s letter.

Uttar Pradesh Government Faces Allegations of Temple Fund Misappropriation

The Uttar Pradesh government established a Special Investigation Team (SIT) on June 13 to investigate allegations of misappropriated temple donations. The SIT submitted its interim report on July 20. On the same day, the Supreme Court formed a second SIT, which is currently continuing the probe.

The controversy erupted on June 7, when Tej Narayan ‘Pawan’ Pandey, a leader of the Opposition Samajwadi Party, claimed that between ₹5 crore and ₹7.5 crore had been siphoned off from temple offerings. Following these allegations, the state government initiated its investigation with the formation of the SIT shortly thereafter.