The Supreme Court on Friday sought a response from the Centre on a public interest litigation (PIL)

The Supreme Court has determined that an allegation of a casteist slur made in a private setting does

The Supreme Court on Friday sought a response from the Centre on a public interest litigation (PIL) challenging the Central Board of Secondary Education’s (CBSE) on-screen marking (OSM) evaluation system.

A bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant asked the Centre to present its response and the relevant records before the court in the matter.

Mehta said he had prepared a note on the matter and wanted to present the government’s response before the court through an affidavit on Monday after discussing it with the government. He sought time until Monday to file the response. The Solicitor General informed the court that a one-member committee had been constituted to examine complaints related to the evaluation process. Students were given a one-week window to submit their complaints.

During the hearing, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta informed the court that around 1.68 lakh students had applied through the complaint window opened by CBSE, and their answer sheets were re-evaluated.

Because they did not secure the minimum marks required in their CBSE results, the lawyer told the court that some students had cleared entrance examinations but faced problems.

However, the lawyer appearing for the petitioner said that several students were still facing difficulties.